Strategy and Planning – lighting up futures
Kāpiti Coast District Council
- Lead a major culture change programme within the Council to enhance the customer focus through a series of forums and workshops, enabling it to be Caring, Dynamic and Effective – Open for Business.
Alex Moore Park Community Sport Facility, Welllington City Council
- Conduct a comprehensive facility needs assessment and plan to guide the development and operation of the proposed Alex Moore Park Community Sport Facility.
National Hockey Stadium Trust
- Developed new Models of Operation for the Stadium Trust and Wellington Hockey Association, including financial forecasts, new operational structure, risk assessments, transition planning, and constitutional review.
Victoria University of Wellington
- Working alongside the Organisational Development team this review undertook strategic alignment of the Leading People Programme to enable development of the capabilities expected of senior leaders within the university.
Tennis Central Region
New Zealand Recreation Association
- Lumin facilitated and developed NZRA’s Strategic Plan, engaging members and stakeholders in the wider recreation sector.
- Developed Community Sport Strategy, Communications Strategy and Stakeholder Engagement Strategy.
- Physical Activity plans for Wairarapa, Upper Hutt, Horowhenua, Kapiti, Wellington Urban Region, Selwyn District and Waimakariri.
Victoria University of Wellington
- Reviewed the Club Support and Structure and identified the services required by clubs to ensure a sustainable and rich student club experience, a key feature of the co-curriular life on campus.
Other strategy projects
- Review and development of CheckM8, a resilience-based project that supports health and wellbeing that is facilitated by young people for young people.
- Created a model for supporting small independent dance and theatre companies, Creative New Zealand .
- Development and implementation of Developing Community Recreation, New Zealand Recreation Association (NZRA) Download this document (pdf 244KB).
- Contribution to WCC Strategic Recreation Framework, Wellington City Council.
- Development of No Exceptions Strategy, Sport New Zealand.
Research and Evaluation – shining the spotlight
NZ Rugby Respect and Responsibility Review
- Lumin have undertaken the research and writing supporting the New Zealand Rugby Respect and Responsibility Review. Using a range of interviews, workshops, online forum, literature review and comparative analysis, we have produced a Summary Report that will shape NZ Rugby’s plan of action. Supporting this is a substantive Review Report that contains the evidence on which the recommendations were made.
- The reports are available at http://www.nzrugby.co.nz/what-we-do/rugby-responsibility/respect-and-responsibility-review
Entertainment and Event Venues and Technicians
- Training Needs Analysis of the Entertainment Venues and Entertainment Technicians. Resulted in successful partnering with Skills Active and the development of national qualifications.
- Training Needs Analysis across a broad range of sectors. Several projects have resulted in the creation of qualifications, certifcation pathways and training and assessment resrouces.
Upper Hutt City Council
- Analysis and reporting on the Upper Hutt Youth Surveys.
- Upper Hutt Recreation Plan that underpins Activation.
- Developed the Balance Scorecard Evaluation Framework for Activation.
- Sports Facility Needs Assessment.
- Community Needs Analysis.
Victoria University of Wellington
- Contributed to the Review of Recreation Services.
- Review and development of the Student Union Building.
Wellington City Council
‘Searchlight’s results have been immediate with new programmes and services developed as well as staff horizons broadened,” NZRA Chief Executive Andrew Leslie.
- ‘Searchlight’ Community and Market Analysis
The ‘Searchlight’ methodology is scalable (from the community surrounding a facility up to city-wide analysis), and the fees scale to match. If you’re interested in finding out more, contact Robyn
- Research and report – Aquatics Facilities Partnerships with Schools that has resulted in considerable WCC commitment to investing in school partnerships.
- Research and report – Improving Swim School Services.
Coaching and Mentoring – helping your light to shine
- Robyn has a portfolio of clients who meet her individually to explore work issues and develop productive solutions. “Over the last six months in professional mentoring sessions, Robyn has guided me through developing my team and our work through a complex re-structure. Robyn very quickly gets to the hub of the issues we’re working on. In helping me to find my way, she often takes me to places that are a complete surprise to me. i come away from each session confident and energised. How much better can mentoring get?”
- Robyn has been facilitating groups of emerging leaders using a structured mentoring programme over the past two years.
Emerging Leaders Mentoring Groups
- Robyn has been facilitating groups of emerging leaders using a structured mentoring programme. This is what some of these emerging leaders say about their experience in the programme….
- “Valuable learning and networking experience”
“I’ve really appreciated learning about different tools and models”
“It has increased my confidence and awareness”
New Zealand Olympic Committee
- Development and delivery of the Aspiring Women Olympic Leaders programme including career planning and mentoring.
- Governance Mentoring to address low participation of rate of women as sport governance.
- Research and resource development to support this work.
Training and Development – brighten your leading lights
Wellington City Council
- In partnership with the New Zealand Recreation Association and Skills Active this is a professional development package which includes two interactive workshops, a webinar, and individual coaching, mentoring and assessment. For more information
First Line Management
- In partnership with the Skills Active and the New Zealand Recreation Association, Lumin have developed First Line Management workshops enabling participants to work towards national qualifications. This is an opportunity for participants to reflect on their current practice and receive mentoring. Topics covered include: team building skills, organisation principles, planning performance management systems, supervising workplace and managing conflict. For more information
- Workshops supporting learning towards a range of National Certificates.
- Training and assessment services.
- Provision of an 18-month Facility Management Training Programme towards a National Diploma for Community Recreation Facilitation Management – Level 5.
Wellington City Council – Get Set Go
- Development of the Get Set Go recreation programming planning resource for community groups.
Cardrona Alpine Resort
- First Line Management training for supervisory staff resulting in pre-season planning and operational alignment
Facilitation – helping you to shine the light
- Facilitation of team meetings and workshops to improve team performance with a wide range of clients.
Team structure and strategy
- Working with key teams to clarify strategy and structure, with a shared understanding and commitment to high level priorities and areas of focus. Clients include: Wellington City Council Botanic Gardens, Well Health PHO, Wellington City Council Parks, Sport and Recreation, Wellington City Council Communications and Engagement.
- Facilitation of sector forums for orchestra, craft/object art, dance and theatre.
- Facilitation of sector planning workshop to address lack of performing arts producers and producer support.
- Facilitation of Smash Palace forums exploring the intersection and interactions where artists and scientists meet.
Sector planning workshops
- Facilitation of sector planning workshops.
- Outdoors New Zealand.
- Cross-government bike stakeholders lead by ACC.
- Land Search and Rescue Association.
- Botanic and Heritage Garden sector.
- Sport NZ and the outdoor sector.
Presentations – by Robyn
Robyn has presented at many conferences around New Zealand and is a sought after speaker. Recent presentations and workshops:
- Recreation in Action – Who should we partner with now? New ways of defining our communities.
- JAWS, New Zealand Recreation Association – Hot topics panel exploring current issues in the aquatics industry.
- Thinking Recreation, New Zealand Recreation Association – Moving from thinking to action.
- New Zealand Recreation Association – national conference – Post demographic Consumerism and its implications for recreation.
- Entertainment Technicians New Zealand annual conference – Developing and Recognising Competence.
- New Zealand Recreation Association, Recreation in Action conference – Presentations and overall facilitation.
- Entertainment Venues Association Conference.
- Keynote – It’s all about the people – industry qualifications for the entertainment and events sector.
- New Zealand Recreation Association National Conference.
- Keynote – The You and I of Community with Esther Bukholt Shake, Rattle and Soul – the role of recreation in disasters.
- New Zealand Recreation Association National Conference Advancing your career with Professor Bevan Grant Connecting the Dots.
- Evaluation frameworks using the Balanced Scorecard Model.
Awards to Lumin
In recognition of their extensive contribution to the recreation and sport sector, Lumin has been awarded the:
Maunsell Scholarship Award, NZRA, 2007
Robyn’s research project “Enhancing the work satisfaction of recreation administrators” explored issues facing the recreation sector and identify strategies for addressing these. She presented the results at the NZRA IFPRA International Conference – Making Connections – Making a Difference.
Outstanding Research, Policy and Planning Award, NZRA, 2011
Lumin and Wellington City Council’s Searchlight: Community and Market Analysis won the NZRA 2011 Research Award